February 28, 2017 – The Northwest Oklahoma City Chamber will release their 2017 Legislative Agenda on March 1 during its annual Day at the Capitol.
The Legislative Agenda outlines the top legislative priorities, on the local and state levels, for which the Chamber will advocate during its Day at the Capitol. The agenda is formed based on issues that impact every small business and organization in the NWOKC metro. The Chamber works on behalf of the membership to advocate policies and legislation that contribute to the region’s growth and prosperity.
“Member interests are of foremost importance to the Northwest Chamber and the Government Affairs Committee determined that the legislative agenda, as presented, best represents organizations small and large, while addressing concerns which impact all Oklahomans,” Jeff Knapp, Chairman of the Government Affairs Committee. “There are several pressing issues facing our state this year including education, pension reform, and taxation. Our goal is to advocate for business-friendly public policies this session and ensure the NWOKC community remains strong and prosperous.”
Each year, the Chamber’s Government Affairs Committee presents the agenda to the Chamber’s Board of Director for approval and adoption. The Government Affairs Committee is comprised of members representing all sectors of the Chamber’s membership to ensure all members have a fair and equal voice.
Education & Workforce Development
- We support competitive funding for common education tied to regional levels. (Specifically, Teacher Pay in the Classrooms.)
- Development of new, broad-based portfolio of new revenue streams, or expansion of existing revenue streams, that does not disproportionately burden any taxpayer segment.
- Fundamental administrative reforms that allow more money to go directly to the classroom and provide school districts more flexibility to spend local funds.
- Support funding for Oklahoma’s career technology and higher education campuses to ensure affordable tuition for our citizens and encourage the growth of our jobs and our economy.
Economic Development & Taxation
- Support retaining the state’s effective economic & community development programs, which are critical in attracting new businesses to the state, encouraging investment in local communities and assisting in expansion of existing companies
- Encourage tax policies that stimulate and advance small business growth in our economy as well as the revitalization of rural Oklahoma
- Support every effort to level the playing field between community retailers and online merchants through effective enforcement in the collection of sales taxes
- Support tax reform that grows Oklahoma’s economy and is fair to all business
- Promote diversification of Oklahoma’s economy through policies that will grow technology and knowledge-based industries
- Oppose any expansion of sales tax to include services currently not collecting sales tax.
For more information about the NWOKC Chamber and its 2017 Legislative Agenda, please contact Jill McCartney, President & CEO, via email – firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone – 405-789-1256 or visit www.nwokc.com.